Mr Rutherford and Professor King believe very strongly in transparency of surgical results. This provides prospective patients with evidence to make an informed decision about their care, but also ensures maintenance of a high quality of care through a process of review by our surgical peers. As part of this we subject our surgical results to the following processes:
- Participation in the British Skull Base Society’s Vestibular Schwannoma Audit. These results have been presented to the British Skull Base Society’s Annual Meeting since 2012, and from 2014 will be published annually by NHS England.
- Participation in the National Cancer Action Team Peer Review Programme for the Skull Base Multidisciplinary Team (MDT), of which Mr Rutherford is the Clinical Lead and Professor King a core member.
- Participation in the Society of British Neurological Surgeons National Neurosurgical Audit Programme.
- Maintenance of our own surgical database of all skull base operations (including vestibular schwannomas, meningiomas, other rarer skull base tumours and microvascular decompressions). This allows us to regularly perform audits of all aspects of our surgical practice.
- Participation in an audit programme of all spinal operations carried out at Salford Royal Hospital, known as the International Spine Registry or Spine Tango. This is run under the auspices of EuroSpine and allows patient-reported outcome data to be collected in an objective fashion.
- Publication of surgical results in international peer-reviewed publications. Over the past decade, Professor King and Mr Rutherford have regularly published aspects of their surgical practice in neurosurgical journals, allowing scrutiny of their practice and outcomes by others. A list of their joint publications can be accessed by clicking here.
Specific surgical results will be elaborated on in the treatment section of respective conditions. Should you require further information about our surgical results, we will be happy to provide these on request.